Many people experience stress and anxiety daily due to work, family, health, etc. According to the 2020 survey by the American Psychological Association, nearly 78% of American adults reported increased stress levels throughout the pandemic. Heightened stress levels are also influenced by genetics and personality traits, meaning that some people are likely to be stressed more than others.
Coping with stress and anxiety is essential for overall physical and mental health. Poor management can lead to chronic stress, which breeds other health conditions, such as anxiety disorders and heart disease. You will learn how to relieve stress and anxiety with the tips mentioned in this article.
Causes of Stress and Anxiety
Stress and anxiety are caused by one or a combination of some factors that vary from person to person. Common causes include:
- Work: Pressure to complete work on time, long hours, and job insecurity can lead to stress and, eventually, anxiety.
- Financial obligations: Worries about debt, bill payments, and meeting financial goals can cause stress and anxiety.
- Relationship issues: Conflicts, breakups, or a divorce, can cause significant stress and anxiety. The individual often resorts to drug and alcohol addiction to cope.
- Health problems: Health issues, such as chronic pain, accident, or disability, are sometimes responsible for causing stress and anxiety.
- Trauma: If you have witnessed traumatic events, such as accidents, domestic abuse, violence, or natural disaster, they may be a significant source of stress and anxiety.
- Life transitions: Moving to a new city, having a baby, or starting a new job or school, can increase anxiety and stress levels.
- Genetics: Stress and anxiety run in some families, which could make subsequent generations prone to these conditions, especially with environmental triggers.
Stress and anxiety can be serious and influenced by factors like environment and lifestyle. It is essential to seek medical help to help relieve severe anxiety and stress if you’re going through any of these situations.
Ways to Reduce Stress and Anxiety
The following are simple ways to de-stress yourself and reduce anxiety:
- Deep Breathing: Taking a few deep breaths can calm your nerves and reduce anxiety. This method yields tremendous results and can quickly relax the body.
- Exercises: Regular exercise is a great way to manage stress and anxiety. According to several studies, exercise is a physical activity that releases endorphins, which helps to reduce anxiety and stress. Walking, stretching, and jogging are simple exercises that relax the body. Exercises tenses and relaxes several muscle groups, which helps to promote relaxation and lessen stress.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: Mindfulness and meditation help you to focus on the present moment, which can help to relieve anxiety and stress. It involves observing your thoughts and emotions without judgment. Mindfulness includes practicing deep breathing exercises and visualization.
- Sleep Adequately: Getting enough sleep has been proven to have a massive impact on physical and mental health. Poor sleep cycles or insufficient sleep can worsen your stress and anxiety levels. It is essential to get adequate sleep every night. Try to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Eating healthily can help minimize stress and anxiety. Eating a balanced and nutritious diet that contains plenty of fruits, veggies, and lean protein can help to support your body and lower your stress level. While taking a balanced diet, limit alcohol and caffeine intake, as they can increase anxiety and stress.
- Practice Gratitude: Sometimes, appreciating what you have can put your body and mind at ease. Many people always focus on the things they don’t have, and pursuing these things can raise your stress and anxiety levels if you don’t get them. By focusing on the things you are grateful for, your perspective is shifted. Try writing down a few things you are grateful for each day.
- Journaling: When you’re stressed and have raised anxiety, your mind is clouded, and you begin to think irrationally. Writing down what you feel and your thoughts can help you to figure out the cause of your stress and anxiety and help you address them accordingly. It can provide a sense of clarity and perspective.
- Limit Screen Time: Staring at your phone’s or computer’s screen for a prolonged time causes eye discomfort, poor sleep, and increased stress and anxiety. Studies have revealed that too much screen time increases anxiety in children and teenagers. Excessive screen time limits face-to-face interaction and causes obesity, affecting physical and mental health. Try to minimize your screen time and take breaks when you can.
- Spend Time in Nature: Spending time in nature is a great way to relax the body and mind, which reduces stress and anxiety. Exposure to nature improves cognitive functions and mood. You can walk in a park or a garden for a start.
- Connect with Friends and Families: Talking to someone can relieve stress and anxiety. Try to spend time with friends or family and talk to them often.
Satori Health Can Help You Manage Your Stress and Anxiety
Chronic stress and anxiety are severe and wouldn’t be addressed by following the above steps. Therefore, it demands medical attention. If you’re experiencing increased stress and anxiety, contact a medical center like Satori Health.
Satori Health comprises experienced medical staff dedicated to helping clients cope with everyday life struggles and attain lasting recovery from various mental health conditions. We run diagnostic tests and recommend the right anxiety treatment program for our clients. Contact us today to learn more about available mental health treatment in the San Fernando Valley.